No kitchen is complete without a knife. It is a versatile tool that you can use for slicing, dicing, and chopping, among other applications. Not all knives, however, are created the same.
While a single knife is sufficient for some people, for others, they need more. This is when the best kitchen knives set becomes beneficial. Some may even include kitchen shears and a honing rod! It is also common to have a block that keeps the knives organized.
With a lot of options for kitchen knives set, making the right choice isn’t easy. If you need help, read on!
Review of Top 8 Best Kitchen Knife Sets 2021| America’s Test Kitchen
Clueless about the kitchen knives set to buy? Below are some of the best options worth considering, as well as the things that make them exceptional.
#1. Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set
The list of the best kitchen knives set is incomplete without mentioning Wusthof. This specific set is one of their best offerings. It is quite expensive, but the price should not be an issue. Especially if you are serious in the kitchen, this is one product that can provide the best bang for the buck!
This set comes with paring, serrated utility, Kiritsuke prep, bread, and chef’s knives. It also has come-apart shears. Plus, you will also receive a solid acacia wooden block set. More than being durable, it will also add a hint of style in your kitchen.
Like many of the knives that you will find in the market, it also comes with a triple-riveted handle, which makes it ergonomic. The handle is made of polyoxymethylene, a synthetic material with a tight molecular structure, which is also what ensures durability.
Best of all, it comes with a lifetime warranty. This alone is more than enough reason to believe that this German-made knife set is a cut above all others, making it easy to justify the steep price.
- Solid and stylish block
- Riveted handle
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
#2. Calphalon Classic Self-Sharpening 6-piece Knife Block Set
Wrapping up our list is another knife set that will make a beautiful addition to any kitchen. Aside from the stylish wooden block, it also comes with an 8-inch chef’s knife, 6-inch utility knife, 5-inch Santoku knife, and 3.5-inch paring knife. Plus, you will also get kitchen shears.
Among others, one of the most notable features you will find in this product is SharpIn technology. There is a built-in ceramic sharpener in the knife slots. This means that every time you put the knife in and take it off, the blades are automatically sharpened.
The full-tang design of the knife is also notable. This improves the construction of the handle, making sure that it is stable. This also means that it is easier to control, minimizing the chances that you end up hurting yourself.
- Self-sharpening design
- Forged steel construction
- Labeled handles
- Rust spots are common
#3. Dalstrong 5-piece Knife Block Set
Looking for a knife set that can turn heads? This is a great option to include on your list! Also called the Shadow Black Series, the knives have a midnight black titanium coating for unmatched aesthetics.
This set is inclusive of a chef, santoku, serrated utility, utility, and paring knife. To add, there is also a stylish storage block, which matches the look of the knives.
As for its construction, the main material used in the blades is high-carbon German steel. Each piece is made of a single steel sheet to ensure durability. More so, it has been through a vacuum treatment process, which will make it more durable.
The handles, on the other hand, are made of marine-grade fiber resin, making them comfortable to hold while also being durable. You can expect a rock-solid grip with the design of the handle, which is also vital for your comfort.
- Easy and comfortable to grip
- Elegant design
- Durable construction
- Underwhelming sharpness
#4. J.A. Henckels International Statement 7-piece Self-Sharpening Knife Block Set
This is made by a company that has been established in 1895, so that alone is already enough reason to believe that the performance is unrivalled. It is trusted even by esteemed global chefs. Best of all, despite its quality, it is not too expensive.
Looking at its features, one thing that we love the most is that it comes with a self-sharpening design. The slots double as an automatic sharpener. So, every time you insert and remove the knife, the blade is sharpened.
To add, we also love the triple riveted handle. It is curved to ensure your comfort. Aside from the ergonomic design, the addition of a metal accent at the end part of the knife is also a plus, making it good-looking.
Lastly, care and maintenance don’t have to be difficult. It is dishwasher-safe, which will spare you from the hassle of cleaning. Although, if possible, hand-wash the knife to preserve its quality through time.
- Good price to quality ratio
- Self-sharpening design
- Ergonomic handle
- Some find the blade to be too thin
#5. Cuisinart C77SS-15PK 15-piece Stainless Steel Knife Block Set
The brand name alone is already a compelling reason to choose this product in your search for the best kitchen knives set. The best thing is that even if it is from a reliable brand, it comes with a reasonable price.
When you purchase this set, you will get the essential knives you need in the kitchen. It comes with chef, slicing, santoku, serrated utility, paring, bird’s peak, and steak knives. You will also get shears, stainless sharpener, and a wood block.
This knife set promises to deliver superior strength, which we can attribute to the use of high-carbon stainless steel as the main material. Despite this, however, some people complained that rust is a persistent problem.
More so, we also love how it comes with ergonomic handles. Gripping the knives is effortless and comfortable. There is a contoured shape, so you can hold it properly. There is also a bolster, which will improve control and stability for a safer experience.
- Ergonomic construction
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Designed for stability
- Prone to rust
#6. Cuisinart C77BTR-15P Triple Rivet Collection 15-piece Knife Set
Similar to the knife set from Cuisinart mentioned above, it also contains 15 pieces. You will get an 8-inch chef knife, 8-inch slicing knife, 7-inch Santoku knife, 5.5-inch serrated utility knife, and 2.75-inch bird’s peak paring knife. To add, it is also inclusive of six pieces of 4.5-inch stainless steel steak knives. You will also get a wooden block, kitchen shears, and 8-inch sharpening steel.
Like the knife set above, the blade is also made of high-carbon stainless steel. It is sharp and durable, but rust is also a common problem. This can make the blade unsightly, so pay attention to proper care and maintenance to preserve the appearance.
It is also worth noting that it comes with stainless steel rivets. It secures the full-tang blade to the ergonomic handle, minimizing the chances that it will break.
- Offers excellent value for the money
- Forged bolster
- High-carbon stainless steel
- Prone to rust
#7. Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-piece Forged Knife Block Set
If you have limited space in the kitchen, then this is a perfect choice. Unlike common knife sets with a bulky wood block, this comes with a space-efficient transparent glass block.
Aside from the transparent holder, this set is also inclusive of and 8-inch chef knife, 8-inch bread knife, 6-inch boning knife, 5-inch utility knife, and 3.5-inch paring knife. Each knife has a high-carbon German steel, which is known for its discoloration, rust, and corrosion resistance.
Another thing that makes this an exceptional choice is its forged construction, which means that it is made of a single-piece steel. This is also one of the reasons why its durability is hard to match.
For the handles, they are made of an innovative material called santoprene. It is a non-slip handle that provides exceptional grip whether you have wet or dry hands. The handle does not easily break down, even with constant oil exposure.
- Well-balanced design
- Exceptional sharpness
- Precision-forged construction
- Glass block easily attracts dirt
#8. Home Hero 17-piece Stainless Steel Knife Set
A five-star kitchen experience – that is what the manufacturer promises when you choose this set. It comes with almost everything that you will need, including 13 knives. As a bonus, you will also get a peeler, sharpener, and scissors. Plus, there is a stand to keep everything in a single place.
One of the highlights of this knife set is the two-stage sharpener. It makes sure that the knives will stay ultra-sharp, even with long-term use.
This is also a great option if you want to add a hint of style in the kitchen. While it is common for knives sets to have a wooden block, it has a transparent plastic stand. It is not as solid as wood though.
- Comes with a two-stage knife sharpener
- Durability can be an issue
How to Choose the Best Kitchen Knife Set
The worst part about buying kitchen knives is that the options are overwhelming. At first glance, they all look the same. If you dig deeper, however, you will find that they are different. From style to performance, consider different things to make a decision you won’t regret.
The most important is to determine what is included in the knife set. A set will have three items at the bare minimum. It can go up to 20 items, depending on the product that you will choose. Below are some of the most common inclusions in a knife set:
- Chef’s Knife: You don’t have to be a chef to use this knife! This is the most important knife to have. It has an average length of six to ten inches. The long blade makes it an efficient knife that you can use for various tasks. From chopping to carving, this is a great multipurpose kitchen tool.
- Paring Knife: Small but mighty – this is how we can best describe the paring knife. Consider it a smaller version of the chef’s knife. The length ranges from two to four inches and it comes with a smooth blade. This is a great choice for precision work, such as for trimming small food and deveining shrimp.
- Bread Knife: The main purpose of this knife is to effortlessly cut through bread, especially those with a hard crust. The serrated blade is useful when cutting something with an exterior that has a different texture from the interior. Aside from bread, you can also use it for fruits and vegetables.
- Honing Rod: It is also good to choose a knife set that comes with a honing rod. The main function of the latter is to hone the blade, making sure that it stays sharp through the years. This is a great way to extend the functional life of the knives.
- Block: Keep your knives organized in a single place. Pick a knife set that already comes with a block, which is usually made of wood. This will also protect the blades from external elements that can speed up wear.
The blade is the most important part of any knife. This is the one responsible for its main functions, so it is an important consideration. Consider the materials used, which will be indicative of durability, versatility, performance, and even price. Below are the most common blade materials in kitchen knife sets.
- Stainless Steel: This is one of the most popular knife materials because of its corrosion-resistance. It is a metal alloy, which includes 11% of nickel, molybdenum, and chromium. A small amount of carbon is also used. Pay attention to the composition and grades as you differentiate the options.
- Damascus Steel: The steel used in this knife has a welded pattern. It is made of a combination of two types of steel that are hardened, so you can be confident of its durability. These are shatter-resistant knives.
- Carbon Steel: Compared to ordinary steel, the addition of carbon makes it sharper. It is a good option if you are looking for the sharpest knives. Not to mention, they are also easy to sharpen. However, it is highly susceptible to rust, corrosion, and discoloration.
- Ceramic: A non-metallic material, ceramic is not as common as the materials mentioned above. A common problem with ceramic is that it is brittle, so make sure that you handle these knives with utmost care.
- Plastic: This is the least common of the materials mentioned. It is known for being lightweight but often disposable. This is one of the materials that we do not recommend if quality is your concern.
The handle of the knives included in the set is important for your comfort and safety. It must be easy to grip, minimizing the chances that you will hurt yourself.
- Wood: This is an old and traditional handle material that you will find in many kitchen knives. Choose hardwood since they are more durable. For cheap knives, stabilized wood is often used, which is basically plywood with a polymer resin injection.
- Stainless Steel: While it can be quite heavy, the good thing about stainless steel is that it is corrosion-resistant. It is quite slippery, so some knives with this handle have an etched pattern or similar design element to make it easier to grip, especially when your hands are wet.
- Titanium: It is also corrosion-resistant and lightweight. This is an expensive material, so this is common only in high-end knives. Through anodization, titanium can be given a distinct color to make knives look more stylish.
- Aluminum: This is a common material for a lightweight handle. It is also a good option if you are on a budget. This material is also rust-proof and corrosion-resistant.
The Ultimate Guide to Picking The Perfect Kitchen Knife
FAQs About Kitchen Knife Set?
To help you better understand kitchen knives, we will answer some questions you might have below.
What is the best kitchen knife set?
This is a difficult question to answer. It can also be subjective since we have different needs and preferences. However, some of the best brands that are worth considering are Wusthof, Henckels, and Shun, among others.
What knives do Gordon Ramsay use?
If you want to feel like a pro in the kitchen, take inspiration from the knives Gordon Ramsay are using. Wusthof and Henckels are his preferred brands, so you can be confident that their quality and performance are second to none.
What is the sharpest knife in the world?
The sharpest knife in the world is made by Obsidian. The company is known for making razor-edged knives. Their knife is up to ten times sharper compared to a razor blade. They are also known for having thin blades, including one that is only three nanometers.